Saturday, February 27, 2010

Distention - GIFTED

Ok, so I know I said in my last post that I prefer to work loose and am working continuously toward that goal, BUT I neglected to say that many times I feel that the subject matter, light, whatever directed me to 'want' to paint the piece to begin with also dictates how I should paint it.  The direction on this one was obviously not as loose as usual.  I love trying variations.  Color vs tone, the music or poetry of the piece, to try to distend myself as well and keep reaching further and further.

So with that said the journey continues to the end with trying various things and loving and looking forward to each and every day I get a stab at getting perhaps, just a tad better than the day before.

8 comments:

  1. Such an interesting composition. The light hitting the dancer is nice and you've captured it beautifully! And I agree that it is a wonderful journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not followed you long, but I love how you diversify your subjects. This speaks to my dreams when I was young, when I yearned to be a ballerina and had to stretch. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Barb... The focus on the precise movement, the discipline, the power, the love... It's all from the same core. I remember as child watching my mother work... and her work, whether it was dishes, floors, her garden... or for others ballet, art, music... a budget, a task. Whatever the focus is at that moment... the control it demands, the continued tweaking towards improvement, and finally the reward -the shine. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully dramatic. I really like the muted palette and the way you used texture to convey the knitted leg warmer and shoe detail. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The truth be know, I still secretly love to dance and watch dancers as well. What an artform, all of the senses including the physical. I seem to be drawn to it, no pun intended as I've done several regarding dance. I've heard, once-upon-a-time, that all girls are princesses. I think we're all dancers as well. Thanks for the kind words fellow artists.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a classic subject but you've brought a new perspective to it with genius cropping and a subdued palette that emphasizes this unique composition. Well Done!!!

    ReplyDelete